CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Complication Frustrations

The longer that I have diabetes the more thought that I have to give to complications. Every ache, every pain, the first thing that pops into my head is, is this diabetes related?

I seem to get a lot of headaches anymore; they seem to coincide with my blood sugars being on the climb from the mid 90’s on up. For the most part my numbers hang out in the high 70’s to low 80’s until I eat, then they start to rise and of course then comes the headache. I have yet to find any information for getting a headache in the low 100’s but I assume it is possible, I have read a lot about people that get headaches in the 200 range and up. Maybe my tolerance for high blood sugars is just really low. Or maybe it’s just stress, who knows.

Healing slowly, now here is a complication that I can more than likely contribute to diabetes. I like to work a lot with my hands and I inevitably end up with cuts and scrapes that seem to take forever to heal. I never realized how long my hands took to heal; I always thought that I was just re-injuring them all the time so they never really got a chance to heal. Now I know different. I first figured it out about a year ago when I burnt the side of my leg just above my ankle. It took that burn about three months to heal. Once I started putting the length of time it took to heal my leg with the length of time it took my hands to heal I then realized what was going on. I know, I know, a little slow on the pick up but I eventually figure things out.

The fact that I have at least one complication that I can attribute to diabetes (healing slowly) is probably the reason that the hair on the back of my neck stands up every time I feel something that isn’t right with my body. I guess that as time goes by I will get used to these complications always hanging around in the background, but for now it’s just frustrating.

0 comments: