CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Saving money the insurance company way

Its time to refill my meds, I usually use mail order to get the most for my money on prescriptions. This time around I am switching back to my local pharmacy to get the most for my money.

I am fortunate enough to have two insurance companies, the problem with that is they each have their own preferred mail order suppliers. Neither insurance company is willing to work with the other ones billing codes. I have spent a great deal of time on the phone with both of my insurances trying to come up with something that will allow me to keep getting my medications through mail order but neither one is willing to budge on how they do things. I know that getting my medications through mail order saves the insurance companies and myself money, but since my secondary insurance won’t work with my primary insurances billing codes that means I don’t get reimbursed for what I have paid out of my own pocket.

The whole point of having two insurance companies was to save money. Late last year when my then current primary insurance changed its prescription plan it was going to cost me a lot more money to get all of my medications. At about the same time my company had open enrolment on its health insurance program. I checked and found that its prescription plan would save me more money. After figuring how much it would save me and then subtracting the cost of adding another insurance I found that I would come out a few hundred dollars ahead at the end of the year. I know that sounds completely out in left field. I worked the math on it several times and always got the same answer. Who would have thought it would be cheaper two pay two insurance premiums.

I guess that at this point I have found the flaw in my two insurance companies to save money plan, getting the secondary insurance to pay for anything. I knew that their had to be a way to make it work. After spending a considerable amount of time pouring over both of my insurance companies’ prescription plans I finally found a way to make it work. All I have to do is quit trying to save money by using mail order to get my medications filled. I found that if I use my local pharmacy they will file both insurances for me, no out of pocket co-pays, no fun forms to fill out, no hours spent on the phone trying to get them to pay. The only glitch with using my local pharmacy is that I will now have to remember to get my refills each month instead of every three months.

Who would have thought to save money a person would have to pay for two health insurance plans and get their medications filled the most expensive way that you can?

2 comments:

Lili said...

I use Walgreens (I know, I know) and I just set up auto refills online, so I don't really have to do anything. I have it email me when the refills are ready.

Carol said...

Great illustration of one of the many things that is "broken" with our healthcare system. Still can't figure out why insurance companies seem to be immune to common sense. Great job working with what you have and getting the best deal!